Since commencement of the project in April 2013, the team have been working hard to gain an insight into the local industry, piloting initiatives and building partnerships. 12 months is an incredibly short time to make huge impacts on the racing economy in Cheshire but our work has given us a good grounding to move forward positively and build on good foundations which hopefully benefit the equine industry in Cheshire in the future.
Cheshire Racing Hub Project highlights:
- Launch event with key industry bodies from Cheshire
- Research into the industry in Cheshire and secondary businesses
- Production of career videos, used at Skills North West, School taster days and shared on social media.
- Michael Owen promotional trailer for Career Videos.
- Production of a video that positions Cheshire as a great place to invest in equine.
- Attendance at 2-day Skills North West event in Manchester.
- Bishop Heber taster session and follow up taster day at Manor House Stables where students also met Michael Owen.
- Reasheath taster session, including speakers Oliver Greenall, Carrie Ford and Will Kinsey.
- Production of a website which signposts students, visitors and investors interested in racing and equine in Cheshire.
- Provision of bursaries for 5 University of Liverpool Veterinary Students to carry out PCEMS placements in Cheshire equine businesses.
- Provision of 10 bursaries for students of Reaseheath College, Harper Adams College and Hartpury College to attend the International Conference for Equine Exercise Physiology (ICEEP).
- Sponsorship of a Pony Racing Club Day.
- Reciprocal celebrations of Saratoga Racecourse and Chester Racecourse, gift exchange and International visit by Saratoga Racecourse.
- Research projects undertaken by Reasheath Students on the Racing Industry, including one research project on the use of Kelsall Gallops by the industry.
- Career videos produced to send to Cheshire Schools.